This week we are focusing on flavour!
Flavour in your recipes comes from many things:
- The main ingredients used (meat, vegetables, fruits, etc.)
- The cooking technique used (grill, broil, saute, etc.)
- The herbs and spices incorporated
This challenge focuses on herbs and spices.
We look at understanding what they are, how to store them, and how to make substitutions.
- Dried vs Fresh spices: Many recipes call for fresh or dried herbs and spices. But, what if you only have fresh or only have dried?
- Herbs vs Spices: In cooking, the terms “herbs” and “spices” are commonly used interchangeably. But, is there a difference? What makes an herb an herb, and a spice a spice?
- How do you organize your spices? Have a peak at my spice drawer to see my new way.
- Making your own spice blends is an excellent option to help control the cost, and create amazing flavour that is just the way you like it. You can even make your own blends from your favourite recipes.
- If you do decide to make your own spice blends, a simple piece of paper taped to the jar will do just fine. But, we have free printable labels if you want to go that route too.
- Sometimes a recipe calls for an herb or spice you just don’t have. We have a list of substitutions that could just do the trick.
- Ever wondered “What the heck is curry powder”? Here’s the answer.
- Garam Masala is a mystery to many people. Find out what it’s all about.
START THE CHALLENGE
Now it is your turn to start the challenge!
- Review the information above.
- Have a look at the spices you already have. Are they fresh? Are they organized? Are there ones you would like to try. Clean out and organize your spice cupboard. Replace old, stale spices and pick up some that you want to try.
- Think about the recipes you like to make a lot. Do they include a long list of spices? If so, try creating a spice blend that will help to make the recipe faster and easier.
- Do you buy commercial spice blends? Find recipes for them and make your own versions.