Summer is here and watermelons are abundant.
Yes, watermelons are simply perfection all on their own. But, they are also way more versatile than you would think.
This summer salad is a perfect example. It combines watermelon with gorgeous cheese, herbs and balsamic reduction.
Choose your favourite cheese and herbs.
- Feta and goat cheese are phenomenal because they have a smooth but tart flavour
- Fresh herbs like basil, mint, or even fresh parsley are perfect fits
Choose a cheese and herb that has a relatively strong flavour so that it can combine with the balsamic vinegar reduction without being lost.
Before the summer turns into fall, give this a try. You will be glad you did.
Note: This recipe uses Balsamic Vinegar Reduction, not just plain balsamic vinegar. This is important because a reduction is concentrated vinegar and is much sweeter than non-reduced vinegar.
This can be bought at the grocery store or made at home. I make my own, this is how I do it:
- Buy cheaper balsamic vinegar
- Pour it into a sauce pan and simmer until it is reduced by 2/3
- You can add sugar at the beginning if you like. I never do because I find it sweet enough once reduced
- Allow it to cool and then put into a jar or squeeze bottle
- If it ends up too thick, add a little water to loosen it up
- Make sure you run a kitchen fan when reducing the vinegar because it smells really strong
- I store it in the fridge and use it on salads, strawberries, ice cream, potatoes, etc.
You can do this with other vinegars like white or red wine vinegar too.
Watermelon Summer Salad
|Servings||Prep Time||Cook Time|
|3-5 Servings||5 minutes|
- Prepare this right before serving
- You can use homemade balsamic reduction or store bought. Keep in mind that it is not balsamic vinegar – It is balsamic vinegar reduction
- Switch up the cheese or herbs. Feta cheese and mint are a great option
- 1/2 Medium Watermelon – Cut up into a large chunks (about 1 inch)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice (can used lime juice instead)
- Pinch Salt
- Goat Cheese (crumbled)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Basil
- Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- Cut up Watermelon into cubes, or use a melon baller
- Combine the oil, lemon juice, and salt – mixing well
- Add the oil mixture to the watermelon and gently stir
- Place watermelon on a serving plate
- Crumble goat cheese over watermelon
- Sprinkle fresh herbs on top
- Drizzle the entire salad with balsamic vinegar reduction
- Serve right away